Monday, November 30, 2015

MAX Project: A Discussion of Paris

Emma Bunch-Benson
11/30/15
Art & Social Practice

MAX Project


For my project I decided to start dialogue about the recent attacks in Paris with riders on the MAX. At first my approach was to use a visual sign for people to write their thoughts and opinions on and talk to me about the attack but I decided that I wanted to approach other people without it and just ask people I chose to about it and just talk and record their ideas as best as I could and not make it obvious it’s for an Art class (even though it is kind of ) and because for my topic I feel most people will respond more with this approach. Most often when these things happen people aren’t going to approach you and start talking because they don’t want to really discuss it, or look at it as much until you inspire them with your own thoughts and words as well as in a way force them to talk by going to them first. As far as conversations, because most people got off after a few stops, because of time asking to record, time to think of response, my conversations weren’t as long as they could have been and some were longer than others. And length also depended on the person and how much they chose to share with me-a complete stranger-even though…the issue effects the entire world, and were all in the same boat in some senses. Most of what I got was going on the MAX outside of class, and somehow I knew that’s where I’d be most successful. Something about doing it with the class was not working. When it comes to this project, I chose to focus on a difficult subject/the subject of the attacks because it’s been a very personal important topic in my life that I wanted to talk about more and connect with others more and bring attention to more and see different perspectives on. I also knew because it’s so recent and huge my chances of people talking to me about it even somewhat were higher than if I were focusing on another subject. I also believe the subject has more intrigue to it for participants and viewers than some other things in the world I could have discussed. I wanted to make a point that things this terrible happen in our world and a lot. And often we don’t like to really truly look at them or face them because were so caught up in our own little worlds and because maybe we aren’t effected how other people elsewhere are. But it’s real and happening. Maybe part of things like this is we don’t think they’ll happen to us even though that’s what everyone who’s ever been attacked or killed thinks before they are. And maybe part of things like this is accepting attacks like this as normal or inevitable or something in the world is because we feel too powerless to change anything and becasue we dont believe things will change when they havnt so far. Maybe part of things like this is its too painful for us to really feel or look at things that are important. maybe part of this is about bigger issues than surface stuff. If we don’t start seeing that theres problems we can’t help and only do ourselves harm-If we don’t start doing things differently than we have been this whole time and fighting for our humanity we will lose the only thing we got. And maybe too if we don’t change ourselves-work on ourselves and personal lives and understandings in all the ways we can, maybe the world can’t be changed by us in the best way it can anyway


I essentially left it pretty open ended and asked what they thought about the attacks and some of what has been being focused on around the world and how they saw it.


Quotes/words from interviews

-
Attacks like the ones in Paris are committed to purposely trigger an Islamophobia backlash. That backlash is not an unintended consequence of such attacks, it is part of their logic. ISIS types want an Islamophobia backlash because it lends credence to their narrative that there is a war between the West and Islam. By strengthening and emboldening the xenophobic right-wing in Europe, they strengthen their own worldview as well. And the most tragic irony is that that backlash may target refugees who themselves had been fleeing ISIS' reign of terror. All my thoughts are with everyone in Paris. Anyone who wishes to ignite a world war or of civilizations should be defeated.

-
This is probably harsh but when you give an organization like this somewhat opportunity because of a slow approach people shouldn’t be surprised about Paris happening as terrible as it is.

-
The targets of these attacks are NEVER the far-right media outlets, political organizations or personalities that actually practice Islamophobia, because those guys are the extremists' soul-mates. They would be nothing without each other.

-
...the bad guys would continue to kill regardless...quit blaming conservatives for the atrocities of Islamic extremists. Islamophobia exists not because of the peaceful, but because of the murderous hoards attempting to fundamentally transform the world!

-
The world has been at war for aeons. This is not new! Simply one man against another is war in itself. So there is a far bigger picture here at play. I’m deeply saddened by the most recent attack but find myself thinking all the way back to the start-thinking why this occurs in our world at all more than anything

-
What happened needs attention but terrorist attacks like this cause everyone to forget about all the other issues going on in the world like water conservation and climate change-the focus is being taken off, and I really believe that. I believe we cant really solve any of the other world problems going on if we don't first have a healthy planet and take care of this major issue and something that is inevitably going to keep happening and is already been devastating. 

-
Europe today is in crisis -- much greater crisis than France. The social fabric of Europe is coming apart. The Eurozone is not going to crumble, I don’t think we are going to see lots of countries leave Europe. What it means to be Europe, the idea of shared values that matter more than just the economic interests of creating a common market -- that is going away and so is the transatlantic relationship, which is at its weakest -- the alliance -- at any point certainly since the Soviet Union has crumbled …






"This is an attack not just on Paris, its an attack not just on the people of France, its an attack on all of humanity and the universal values we share" -Obama

No comments:

Post a Comment